Things that would make the world a cooler place.
Have you seen any of Improv Everywhere's videos? I especially like Frozen in Grand Central. What they do is pretty awesome just because it's something unexpected that takes you out of your little bubble where you spend your time isolated from anyone new and you suddenly realize that there are moments outside of what you're used to. Events like these turn your average, everyday into something interesting and interactive. It makes you feel like you're in the largest hands-on museum but instead of just a building you have the whole world to experience; you just have to make it happen. I feel like we're lacking in fun interactions with one another and the following is a list of things that would help this problem:
- Neighborhood Social Network - Technically, there was a site called FatDoor that was exactly like this but it wasn't successful enough. I would love to see every neighborhood have a website where neighbors could chat, plan events, buy/sell items, and just have fun with one another. I don't even know who lives two doors down from me.
- The Game - Maybe you've heard of this where everyone is already playing "the game" and the object is to not think of "the game" which you lose and must say aloud that you lose whenever you remember "the game." Basically you have to forget that it exists. I wish everyone would want to play this because it would be fun to set off chain reactions of people shouting "I lose!"
- Breaking Out into Song and Dance - Come on, you've all seen at least one movie where suddenly everyone is sucked into singing in harmony and moving to perfectly synchronized, choreographed dances at a seemingly random time. Wouldn't that be sweet if that happened even if it was just once?
- Global Scavenger Hunt - Actually, there is such a thing as GeoCaching but hardly anybody seems to know it exists. You wouldn't believe how exciting it is to discover someone has hidden a container of surprises right in your area that you can search for, add to it, write a message, or be inspired to hide your own treasure.
- Life Swap - Like Wife Swap only everyone does it. People get stuck in a rut far too easily and I think switching lives with another person for a week or even for just a day would put one's life in perspective so that they can appreciate what he/she has or get a feel for how others go about their typical day. They should make this an international holiday.
- Congressional Idol - Politics are pretty dull but they don't have to be. I mean they have a show for everything else, why not have a show where you can vote on actual laws like a real Democracy. Although you'd have to have some sort of registration system to keep out the ones who have no idea what they're doing but I think it would give power back to the people.